On-going Community Service Opportunities
The following service projects are continuous projects. Each student must set up their own community service hours, please use the contact information below to do so.
Need volunteers to visit patients.
Needs help every Saturday at several locations in the metro.
Call Laura O’Brien to schedule the time
816-561-1061 ext. 109
Junior Volunteer Program
17203 E. 23rd Street
- Schedule according to availability. This is an on-going program, that seeks out students for ongoing commitments.
- Volunteers must have a C average and a doctor’s statement that they are free of communicable diseases.
Contact: Lisa Dye at 478-5087
Lee’s Summit Animal Shelter
Walk Dogs, Sweep Floors, Mop, etc.
Contact: Animal Control at 969-7405
Wilshire at Lakewood
600 NE Meadowview Drive
Lee's Summit, MO 64064
- A long-term care facility in northern Lee’s Summit
- Schedule on an as-needed basis, when available
- Assistants needed to visit with residents, help with crafts, distribute snacks, play the piano, sing, read, play cards, Bingo, etc.
Contact: Kristi Hays at 554-9866
University of Missouri
Building Bridges Program
- They would like students to commit to meeting with Senior Citizens monthly.
- This activity brings young and old together for the benefit of both.
Contact: Nina Chen at 252-5051
Generations Adult Day Care
16021 E 40 Hwy
¼ mile west of Lee’s Summit Road)
- Facility is open Monday-Friday until 6pm. You may do community service there from 2:45-6:00 pm.
- You may work short term or long term interacting with adults with physical and/or mental disabilities. Activities might include outdoor walks, playing checkers, reading or visiting.
Contact: Susan Smith or Pat Sargent at 478-8600
Volunteer Sorting Area
Tuesday and Thursdays
3:00 pm to 8:00 pm
8:30 am -3:00 pm
- Sort food, sort household goods collected in food drives and donated by grocery stores, and repackage food or household items damaged in shipment.
Contact: Jean Elis at 231-3173 extension 139
(East Bottoms) KCMO
- Re-use building material supply store—all proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity
Schedule as available
Tuesdays-Fridays 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturdays, 9:00 am -4:00 pm
- Numerous jobs available for individuals or groups including warehouse associates, recycling, collections assistants, display merchandise, etc.
Contact: Rebecca Dye at 231-6889 extension 225
Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce
220 SE Main
Lee's Summit, MO
- Assist with various tasks at the Chamber Office
- Would like person(s) to come 1-2 a week to do manicures and hair styling for EMH residents.
Contact: Michelle Sims after 3 pm at 816-554-0067
Truman Neurological Center
1600 Woods Chapel Road
- Schedule based on availability and needs of center.
- Volunteers needed to assist with activities and other needs at this residential and habilitation center for persons with developmental disabilities.
Contact: Shannon Maloney at 373-5060
- A HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
- NEEDS HELP REPAIRING HOMES
- IN INDEPENDENCE EVERY
- SATURDAY BEGINNING MARCH 10TH
- AND CONTINUING THRU SEPTEMBER
- NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
- YOU NEED TO BE 16 YEARS OR OLDER
CONTACT DALE FUHRMAN: 816-215-8770
Do you wish you could do something directly about the amount of trash that goes into our landfill?
Join your recycling efforts with those of thousands of others by
- volunteering at a Community Recycling Center . The centers are open every week Wednesday through Saturday and are almost completely staffed by volunteers! This is a great volunteer opportunity for individuals, groups or students with service requirements. Volunteers help unload recyclers' cars, help recyclers carry their recyclables to the appropriate bins and help answer their recycling questions.
- Three locations - 3 Trails/Bannister, UMKC/Midtown, and Metro North Shopping Center.
- Scheduling is flexible - students may volunteer as many or as few times as they like.
Call 816-561-1090 for more information or to schedule a shift.
Lee's Summit Educational Foundation
community service opportunities that are ongoing throughout the year.
- Events and project assistance (Race for the Future, Extravaganza, etc.), donor relations, mailings, data entry, etc.
Contact: Sheryl Franke, Director, 986-1015 or email@example.com
Woodland Elementary Outdoor Classroom
- planting and garden maintenance throughout the fall
- at your convenience
- Please call to set up a time.
Contact person: Sandy Miller
Lee’s Summit Autism Support Group
Needs help with day care. Meets the first Monday of every month at the Legacy Christina Church
Contact: Sherrit Tucker
Midwest Foster Care & Adoption
Needs students to help in their food pantry, clothing closet, etc.
Contac:t Becky Hughes
Russ Berlin LS Symphony
- Needs help with equipment set up/break down at the LSH concerts.
Please contact the A+ office for more information
310 SE Blue Parkway
Greenwood Social Sciences
Contact: Mr. McGee
Lee's Summit Social Services
108 SE 4th Street
call Ted at 525-8240
Mid Continent Library
Oldham Parkway Branch only
Cornerstone Baptist Church Clothes Closet
501 NE Missouri Road
- 2nd & 4th Saturday of every month
- noon to 2pm
- Help sorting clothes
Hearts of Hospice
Contact: Ms. Bernal
Lee's Summit Animal Shelter
1991 SE Hamblen Road
please call ahead